Monday, September 24, 2012

Children are already readers and writers

     Through the readings this week, it became apparent that children are already readers and writers before they enter into a schooling environment. Realizing this is important because not giving children literacy experiences until they are school age severely limits their reading and writing levels they will attain in the future. It is important for teachers to realize that even though students are not exhibiting reading and writing production skills, they begin to understand the concepts of             literacy and its functions at a very early age. The IRA/NAEYC reading showed that the most important period for literacy development for children is from birth-8 years old. These readings also showed that in order to develop the ability to read and write, children need regular interaction with reading and writing. The most important of these interactions for young children is reading aloud. 

     The most interesting thing I took from these three readings is that literacy is everywhere. This was shown especially in the Bell and Jarvis reading. Children don't just learn about reading and writing through story books, they also learn a lot from labels and signs, such as bulletin boards in the classroom. Reading is not just about reading words, it's about reading all kinds of symbols that help us to relate to the world around us. Therefore, it is vital to provide students with a rich environment full of written and spoken language, this was shown in the Yopp and Yopp reading on phonemic awareness. Literacy instruction should be should be playful and engaging, interactive and social, and should stimulate curiosity and experimentation with language. In my future as a teacher, I hope to engage my students in reading and writing by letting them know that they can already read and write before they even begin school. In addition, I plan to fill my classroom with all types of text so that my students are constantly interacting with it in a variety of ways.

What were some of your favorite activities from the Yopp reading for building sensitivity to sounds of speech?

What kinds of things do you think are important to have in your classroom to make it a rich text environment?

Here are some fun bulletin boards in classrooms that help contribute to providing a rich text environment!







6 comments:

  1. I though that your idea of a the importance of labels and signs was great. It's true kids learn literacy skills thru many more facets than just books. For examples, lists, labels, and bulletins boards like you mentions are all important literary uses. Overall a text rich environment is the best way to promote reading and an understanding of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Hannah, I think children definitely benefit from labels, bulletin boards and any creative way to incorporate reading in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the labels is one of the coolest things I read. I don't remember there being any labels in my classrooms, but there should be! I also liked what we read about today in class. I think putting a post office in the classroom is a cool way to incorporate reading and writing in the classroom. I had a teacher that did this in class. Not only do they read and write, but the actual "post office" will be labelled with everyone's names and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly agree with the ideas offered in the article by Hopp and Hopp. I think that it is absolutely vital to incorporate reading lessons based on meaningful, familiar, relevant, real life contexts. I think that the mailbox idea is a great one. I understand that this idea and many other ideas suggested by these authors provide reading and writing exposure. However, I also feel that in this day and age, even young children could be extremely motivated by technology. I think that it would be great for kindergarten classrooms too engage students in activities where they could type out messages on computers. Imagine how excited they would get about some sort of instant messenger activity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with the idea of incorporating labels in the classroom! It is a simple way to help students start connecting words with objects. I also love the idea of having some type of reading and writing centers in the classroom. This makes reading and writing more accessible to the children as well as fun since it is in a laid back and creative environment! I definitely want to use these ideas in my future classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stimulating a child's curiosity is so important. It makes the child interested and want to know more. It is so important that people realize children are most affected by literacy from the ages of birth to eight. These early years are the time when they are most easily influenced and begin to become the readers that they will be for the rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete