Monday, November 5, 2012

Building Vocabulary with Technology

I chose the article this week dealing with 10 ways to use technology to build vocabulary because I am a big fan of technology and am excited to integrate the use of technology in my classroom. The first strategy deals with word relationships within the text. The article talks about a great program I have used in a prior education class called "Wordle" that allows you to create a word cloud to show the frequency of words in a text. This a great tool to visually show your students the meaning, importance, and relationship of words in a particular text. Here's a word cloud I created showing the frequency of words in the passage "Is a Whale a Fish?"

 Another great strategy is the use of vocabulary game websites that your students can do in small groups or as an individual during center time. These websites are a great way to stimulate the student's use of words and their meanings through crossword puzzles, picture-word matching, and word scrambles. However, the one strategy I really enjoyed and know I will carry on with me into my classroom is the last strategy which combines vocabulary learning with social service. Using the website www.freerice.com promotes the students' engagement with words while also contributing to the social good because each word that the student gets correct 10 grains of rice are donated to a country in need. How cool is that!? I love the idea of using this as an opener to a vocabulary lesson having the whole class participate and express the reasons they choose each answer. In addition this works with strategies such as recognizing words that they can eliminate from the choices and seeing if the root word gives them any clues as to what the meaning of the word is. Here is a screenshot of what the game looks like!


1. What are some other ways you can use technology to help build vocabulary that are fun and interactive?

2. Do you think as a teacher you will use technology to stimulate learning in your classroom?

2 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome that you used a Wordle, I used on for my blog a couple of weeks ago. Its always nice when classes intertwine like that. I think being able to use Wordle in a classroom in regards to vocabulary is a great idea that should be utilized more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think I will use technology in my classroom to help the students' learning. In TPTE 486, we have learned so many cool ways to incorporate technology into the classroom that is beneficial to the students. I think that there are too many great options to help with learning and teaching to pass it up. Technology is more common for children than it was for us as children, so I think they will really be into learning through technology.

    ReplyDelete